Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Something Yummy

A while ago I had my first fish taco at one of the hubs and I's new favorite restaurants, Felix's and it rocked my world. You see I have never been a lover of fish and seafood. You could have even called me a hater for most of my life. But because the hubs loves fish and such so much I have been trying to broaden my horizons. To my surprise I actually like some kinds of fish! Especially Felix's fish :) Anyways, these fish tacos were amazingly delicious and ever since they touched my mouth I wanted to make my own version at home!

Well the other day when the hubs and I were wandering through the grocery store I found tilapia on sale. Perfect chance! So I snatched some and began my search for inspiration. I combined a few different recipes that I found online and here is what I came up with:

Fish and Cabbage Tacos
1 lb Tilapia
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 lime juiced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 small jalapeno chopped
Shredded red cabbage
Shredded cheddar cheese


Salsa:
2-3 med. tomatoes chopped
1 can corn
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 1/2 teaspoon jalapeno chopped
1 small onion chopped
1/2 c. cilantro chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
salt and pepper to taste


Combine all ingredients but tilapia to create marinade. Put fish fillets in a pan and pour marinade over. Let sit for 30 minutes. Cook fillets in skillet on high heat until cooked thoroughly and browned on outside. Pull apart into flakey pieces and set aside.


Mix all salsa ingredients together. Set aside. Warm up tortillas or hard shell tacos. Serve with tilapia, salsa, cabbage, and cheese.

I always forget to take pictures when I am cooking cause I get "in the moment" and quite frankly I am usually in a time crunch :/. But I snagged a quick shot with the hubby's cell phone. 

They were so yummy and healthy!
We used lettuce instead of cabbage because I had to use it up!



We had left over salsa afterwards so I used it to make a Chipotle BBQ Chicken Salad. It was Mmmm Mmmm good. All you have to do is:
Toss some sliced chicken pieces in olive oil and chipotle seasoning (I use Pampered Chef Chipotle Rub - its to die for!). Cook the chicken. Once cooked toss in Honey BBQ sauce. Then put chicken over a bed of greens with a a generous amount of salsa and there ya go! I added some extra BBQ sauce and Ranch to my salad to top it off.

Seriously... either of these will not leave you disappointed :)

Breanna Mae

1 comment:

Lovely Comments