Fall to me equals yummy soups, cinnamon scents, and apples! Those have all very prevalent in our house in the last month. The apple part all started with The Hubs bringing home a HUGE box of Red Delicious apples after his last road trip. Seriously guys, when I say huge, I really mean ginormous. I wish I would have taken a picture so you guys can understand how I had no idea what to do with them. You see, I really really dislike red delicious apples, even though I love most apples, that love does not spread to red delicious. So there they sat, for a good couple of days, a box of 15 large red delicious apples without a home. Then I had a grand idea to make applesauce! I had never made it before but figured it wouldn't be that difficult so I looked up a recipe and there I went. I ended up loving it and better yet it made the whole house smell delicious! Either which way, I had trouble finding a recipe that really seemed good. None of the really seemed liked they gave full accurate, direction. So I kind of made up my own so I can share it with you guys!
3/4 c. water
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Dash of sugar (optional)
1. Peel and core the apples.
2. Dice the apples and put into a stock pot.
3. Add water, cinnamon, and nutmeg and bring to a boil. When I added the water it did not seem like nearly enough but I actually ended up spooning out some of the excess water right before they got too mushy.
4. Cover and turn down to a low heat. Cook for 45 min to 1 hour stirring regularly.
5. Once apples start to break up take a whisk and stir/break up apples to your desired consistency.
|I know it looks nasty in this pic but I promise you, its not.|
Hope you all enjoy this recipe!